About the meaning of compute nodes

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Wed Aug 10 13:56:19 UTC 2022

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 10:34:49PM +0900, Bernd Bausch wrote:
:A VM is contained in a single compute node. There is no way for a VM to
:"span" several nodes.

This is true in the case of OpenStack and VMs in general.

There are/were attempts at creating "Single System Image" clusters
that are kindof the inverse of conventional VMs and pool multiple
physical hosts in to a single virtual system.

I used OpenMOSIX ~20 years ago in this context but at that time
there were quite a few limitations as to how you had to compile your
binaries to actually take advantage and that wasn't possible at the
time for most of my use cases.

Obviously this is very old information. OpenMOSIX seems defunct but
the proprietary version seems to still exists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMosix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSIX
https://mosix.cs.huji.ac.il/index.html

This is completely unrelated to and as far as I know incompatible with
OpenStack, but if that is of interest to you may provide a path to
further inquiry.

-Jon

: