[all] Devstack jobs are failing due to a git security fix

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 11:06:22 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-04-12 at 17:05 -0700, Michael Johnson wrote:
> tldr: All devstack based jobs are going to fail with newer versions of
> git - don't bother rechecking
>
> git has released a security fix [1] that is starting to roll out in
> distributions (Ubuntu focal for example) that will cause pbr to be
> unable to access the package metadata for packages checked out locally
> due to the directory ownership used in devstack.
>
> We have opened a devstack bug to track this issue:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1968798

ok ok i hit this a few months ago but tought this was related to arm

i spoke to clark and fungi about it when i was tryign to get devstack running on a vm macbook air

this broke the ablity to do "pip install -e" which broke my normal workflow of keeping my workign repos
in /opt/repos and the devstack managed ones in /opt/stack

i was getting the same pbr issue when i tried to sudo pip install -e /opt/repos/nova
that is also when i encounted the issues with unistalling so this has been out in the wild since at least january