Creating multiple servers with a shared volume

Laurent Dumont laurentfdumont at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 02:07:08 UTC 2021

Just to be sure, the flow is.

   - Create VM with root disk on a volume/image.
   - Create another 1TB volume.
   - Attach the volume to the VM as a second drive using a multi attach
   approach (
   https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/blockstorage-volume-multiattach.html
   )?
   - Create snapshot of the original VM (with it's root drive + 1 TB
   volume)?
   - Create new VM from snapshot.
   - Instead of a new VM + 1 new root volume + the same 1TB multiattach
   volume attached, you get a new multiattach volume (new volume ID and
   everything)?

I've never had the pleasure to play around with this, but creating a new VM
from a snapshot could mean a new volume too. I'm not sure how snapshot will
work with multi volume VMs.