[designate][interop] test_create_all_recordset_types ddt issue

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 15:48:30 UTC 2021

Hi Martin,

This is a really good question, thanks for bringing it up.

Normally I would not include "ddt" tests in the interop test suite. I
have two reasons for that opinion:
1. All DDT tests will end up with the same idempotent_id (UUID for the
test), which makes them hard to track.
2. The list of tests generated from that "ddt" data will change over
time as we add new recordset types [1]. We will also need to be very
careful that the dataset order does not change.

That said, those are important tests for the functionality of the
Designate service. Users will expect to be able to create records of
those types if they are using a "OpenStack Powered Platform with DNS"
cloud.

So, yes, I think we should keep them. I would expect the list to
expand over time, with [1] being a candidate for that in the near
future.
If the use of "ddt" is a big problem for the compliance testing, we
can consider breaking these out into individual tests (likely to be
duplicates to the existing "ddt" tests to maintain the legacy test
UUIDs).

Michael

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/designate/+/802190