[all] Dangerous trend toward too many release-independent components

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Sep 8 11:27:08 UTC 2021

On 9/8/21 11:31 AM, Herve Beraud wrote:
> An API seems quite a good idea
>
> I'm ok to give help on this point with my upstream cap and my Red Hat cap.
>
> As release manager I added your proposition to our "things to changes"
> on our release process and tools.
> I think that it should be discussed first to see how to implement it and
> how to host it.
> I think that the technical details would be a transversal decision
> between the infra team and the release team and the volunteers on this
> topic.
>
> However you should notice that we are near Xena's deadline, and, so, for
> now, I don't think that we will have the time to work on this topic.
> Also,  although I'm volunteering to help, you should notice that the
> release team will have another PTL for Y, so, the lead of this topic is
> at the discretion of my replacant.
>
> I think a good starting point could be to design some specs or propose
> some related goals, so, Thomas, maybe you could start by creating
> something like that with your expectations. It will allow us to start
> this topic, share our different feedback and our expectations on it (our
> different viewpoints, at least from the release team, infra team, and
> downstream/distros teams).
>
> Hopefully it will help us.

Hi Herve,

Thanks a lot for your enthusiasm, volunteering, and all.

I very much agree that it's too late for Xena, though I wasn't even
hoping for it that early. This was merely a suggestion.

I will try to get my co-maintainer (Michal Arbet) in the loop so we can
at least design the blue-print together. I also have to give this some
thoughts myself before I can start.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)