[all][tc] Minium python version for yoga and centos 9 stream.

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 7 16:03:09 UTC 2021

On 2021-09-07 10:38:12 -0500 (-0500), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> Definitely we can move to 3.9 as official testing runtime if any
> of the currently supporting distro support it as default.
[...]

I don't think it needs to be the default Python in a release so long
as it's available. To quote from
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20181024-python-update-process.html#unit-tests

    "Prior to the beginning of each release cycle, the TC will
    designate the minor versions of Python 3 that will be tested in
    that release using the following criteria:
    [...]
    The latest released version of Python 3 that is available in any
    distribution we can feasibly use for testing. It need not be a
    long-term-supported release, but could be a non-LTS version of
    Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE Leap, or even a rolling release
    distribution (such as Debian Testing or openSUSE Tumbleweed) if
    necessary."

I recall clearly that this was added so that we would attempt to
test the latest available version of Python in order to help avoid
having software which is clearly non-functional on distributions
which are working in parallel to update their defaults (and so might
reasonably want to ship OpenStack with an interpreter version which
was not their default at the time we started development for that
coordinated release).
--
Jeremy Stanley