[all] Dangerous trend toward too many release-independent components

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 7 13:39:47 UTC 2021

On 2021-09-07 11:09:45 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> since we have pinned global requirements, will these new updates
> be included in the tests of older OpenStack releases? Is this
> really the case right now?
[...]

They generally shouldn't, and most of the time can't realistically,
have their entries altered in stable branches of the
upper-constraints.txt file we use to pin dependency versions. To be
able to do so would prevent them from using new features of their
own dependencies in master branch development, since those would end
up also needing updates in the pinned list of transitive stable
branch constraints, which is exactly what we want to avoid.

The workaround is to create a stable branch of the repository from
the last version which was tagged during the cycle for the release
which needs a fix to that independent deliverable backported. Those
cases are rare, and basically what you would include as a stable
distro package update for that coordinated release series anyway.
--
Jeremy Stanley