is OVS+DPDK useful for general purpose workload

Satish Patel satish.txt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 04:18:10 UTC 2021

Folks,

I have deployed openstack and configured OVS-DPDK on compute nodes for
high performance networking. My workload is general purpose workload
like running haproxy, mysql, apache and XMPP etc.

When I did load testing I found performance was average and after
200kpps packet rate I noticed packet drops. I heard and read that DPDK
can handle millions of packets but in my case its not true. I am using
virtio-net in guest vm which processes packets in the kernel so I
believe my bottleneck is my guest VM.

I don't have any guest based DPDK applications like testpmd etc. does
that mean OVS+DPDK isn't useful for my cloud? How do I take advantage
of OVS+DPDK with general purpose workload?

Maybe I have the wrong understanding about DPDK so please help me :)

Thanks
~S