[qa][ptg] PTG Summary

Martin Kopec mkopec at redhat.com
Wed Oct 27 12:39:05 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

thank you all who participated in the PTG discussions and shared their
thoughts and opinions. It's very much appreciated!

Here is the summary of the topics we have discussed [1]:
* Migration of devstack and Tempest tests to new secure RBAC
** Tempest side appear to be ready, further work is required on Devstack's
side.

* Xena retrospective
** Among good things belong:
*** a few long term unfinished effort got completed
*** a participation in an open source contest, which also helped in the
above point
*** a great response time in devstack patches
*** quite prompt fixing devstack gate issues - thank you all who are active
in Devstack, great job!
** Bad things to mention:
*** not enough active contributors in Tempest and especially in Patrole
project
*** long review time in Tempest and Patrole

* Cleanup of duplicated scenario.manager
** we will start with removing duplicated scenario.manager (Tempest's
stable interface) methods from plugins
** this follows the 'making tempest.scenario.manager interface stable'
effort done ~2 cycles ago

* Test inheritance conventions, are there any
** we discussed usage of DDT library - it has turned out it complicates
things when the test names are generated dynamically (it's hard to track
the tests then) and because in DDT case the tests are not associated with
any UUID
**

* FIPS support
** current issues with FIPS at [3] - raised by Ade Lee
** the plan here from high level point of view is we'll use new jobs (with
FIPS enabled) in Tempest so that we can identify and fix the tests that
don't comply with FIPS

* Patrole stable release updates and discussion
** A big question has been raised, do we have someone who can drive the
patrole's migration to new RBAC? That's important because as mentioned
before, there aren't many contributors in Patrole.
** There was an idea raised to retire the project - mainly because it's
hard to maintain it (not enough contributors) and because the gates were
broken for several months during the Xena cycle and mostly none had noticed
- which raises another question - is the project needed/used by anyone?

The discussed topics are transformed into priority items [2] we will be
focusing on this cycle.

[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/qa-yoga-ptg
[2] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/qa-yoga-priority
[3] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/state-of-fips-in-openstack-ci-yoga