[all][tc] Skyline as a new official project [was: What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 15th Oct, 21: Reading: 5 min]

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Oct 22 22:40:29 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-23 00:06:02 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> This is essentially bullshit: the replacement method proposed in this
> page is supposed to be "pip install", which does dependency resolving
> and download from the internet, which is not useful (and even forbidden
> at package build time) for downstream distributions.
>
> If using pip is the only thing that upstream Python people are proposing
> to distributions, without any distro-specific options (like the
> --install-layout=deb option of setuptools, for example), then something
> really wrong is going on.
>
> Unless I missed something and upstream Python likes us from now on?!?
[...]

Their new answer to "how should we be building binary packages from
Python source distributions" is this (already packaged in Debian):

    https://packages.debian.org/python3-build

The idea is that a source distribution may have a variety of
different possible build backends per PEP 517, but as long as you
run `python3 -m build` (and the relevant build dependencies are made
available somehow) then it shouldn't matter. Calling directly into
setup.py is only going to work for projects which use Setuptools as
their build backend and provide a setup.py, of course, probably not
for any other build backend.

> IMO skyline needs to conform with everything that's made elsewhere
> in OpenStack, and adopt the same standards.
[...]

I agree, and I attempted to leave some detailed notes on
https://review.opendev.org/814037 highlighting the differences I
spotted, which I think they're going to want to address for
consistency with the rest of OpenStack.
--
Jeremy Stanley