[all][tc] Skyline as a new official project [was: What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 15th Oct, 21: Reading: 5 min]

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 18 12:18:18 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-18 11:22:11 +0800 (+0800), 高瀚翔 wrote:
> Skyline-apiserver is a pure Python code project, following the
> Python wheel packaging standard, using pip for installation, and
> the dependency management of the project using poetry[1]
>
> Skyline-console uses npm for dependency management, development
> and testing. During the packaging and distribution process,
> webpack will be used to process the source code and dependent
> library code first, and output the packaged static resource files.
> These static resource files will be stored in an empty Python
> module[2].
[...]

GNU/Linux distributions like Debian are going to want to separately
package the original source code for all of these Web components and
their dependencies, and recreate them at the time the distro's
binary packages are built. I believe the concerns are making it easy
for them to find the source for all of it, and to attempt to use
dependencies which these distributions already package in order to
reduce their workload. Further, it helps to make sure the software
is capable of using multiple versions of its dependencies when
possible, because it's going to be installed into shared
environments with other software which may have some of the same
dependencies, so may need to be able to agree on common versions
they all support.
--
Jeremy Stanley