[ops] How to use hosts with no storage disks

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Oct 15 16:56:30 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-15 12:31:02 -0400 (-0400), Laurent Dumont wrote:
> If we break it down, I'm not sure a VM will be able to boot with
> no volume/root disk from an image though?
>
> I guess you could have the root VM drive all in RAM, but I don't
> think that Openstack understands that.
[...]

Well, the question seemed to be primarily about booting the
underlying hardware (compute nodes) over the network. This is
actually pretty commonly done, at least for provisioning, but could
certainly also be used to get enough of a kernel running to find the
root disk over iSCSI or whatever.

As for the virtual machines (server instances), you can
boot-from-volume and use any sort of remote storage Cinder supports,
right?
--
Jeremy Stanley