Re: Problème with image from snapshot

Franck VEDEL franck.vedel at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Wed Oct 13 19:01:30 UTC 2021

Hi Dominic, and thanks a lot for your help.
> I only see one issue with what you said, or perhaps didn't say.  You are aware that it is a very good idea to sysprep --generalize a Windows instance, before making an image from it, yes?
Yes yes, i did  that, sys prep — generalize

> Regarding OpenStack, could you tell us what glance and cinder drivers you use?
i’m not sure… for cinder: LVM on a iscsi bay

> Have you done other volume to image before?
No, and it’s a good idea to test with a cirros instance. I will try tomorrow.

> Have you verified that the image finishes creating before trying to create a VM from it?

Yes

> I'm not sure that snapshotting before creating an image is necessary.  It's a good idea (maybe even necessary) to have the instance off when converting a volume to an image, thus, depending on your storage technology, the image might just be a snapshot.
I just tried with an instance off… same problem, sam error message (Block Device Mapping is Invalid)

> I've done volume to image before, but it's been a little while.  I plan to do this with a Linux instance today, so I'll see if I can do it while the instance is running.
Thanks a lot !! Really !!

Franck VEDEL
Dép. Réseaux Informatiques & Télécoms
IUT1 - Univ GRENOBLE Alpes