[neutron] OVN and dynamic routing

Francois rigault.francois at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 19:26:56 UTC 2021

(yes we are using distributed fips) Well we don't want stretched
VLANs. However... if we followed the doc we would end up with 3
controllers in the same rack which would not be resilient. Since we
have just 3 controllers plugged on specific, identified ports, we
afford to have a stretched VLAN on these few ports only. For the
provisioning network, I am taking a shortcut since this network should
basically only be needed once in a while for stack upgrades and
nothing interesting (like mac addresses moving) happens there. The
data plane traffic, that needs scalability and resiliency, is not
going through these VLANs. I think stretched VLANs on leaf spine
networks are forbidden in general for these reasons (large L2
networks? STP reducing the bandwidth? broadcast storm? larger failure
domain? I don't know specifically, I would need help from a network
engineer to explain the reason).

 https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_openstack_platform/16.1/html/spine_leaf_networking/index