[dev][cinder] Consultation about new cinder-backup features

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 10:23:31 UTC 2021

On 30/09, Daniel de Oliveira Pereira wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >>     During a volume backup operation, the user provides a "location"
> >> parameter to indicate which backend will be used, and the backup
> >> hostpath, if applicable (for NFS driver), to create the volume backup.
> >> For instance:
> >>
> >>     - Creating a backup using Ceph backend:
> >>     $ openstack volume backup create --name <backup_name> --location
> >> ceph <volume_id>
> >>
> >>     - Creating a backup using the improved NFS backend:
> >>     $ openstack volume backup create --name <backup_name> --location
> >> nfs://my.nfs.server:/backups <volume_id>
> >>
> >>     If the user chooses Ceph backend, the Ceph driver will be used to
> >> create the backup. If the user chooses the NFS backend, the improved NFS
> >> driver, previously mentioned, will be used to create the backup.
> >>
> >>     The backup location, if provided, is stored on Cinder database, and
> >> can be seen fetching the backup details:
> >>     $ openstack volume backup show <backup_name>
> >>
> >> Briefly, this is how the features were implemented:
> >>
> >>     - Cinder API was updated to add an optional location parameter to
> >> "create backup" method. Horizon, and OpenStack and Cinder CLIs were
> >> updated accordingly, to handle the new parameter.
> >>     - Cinder backup controller was updated to handle the backup location
> >> parameter, and a validator for the parameter was implemented using the
> >> oslo config library.
> >>     - Cinder backup object model was updated to add a nullable location
> >> property, so that the backup location could be stored on cinder database.
> >>     - a new backup driver base class, that extends BackupDriver and
> >> accepts a backup context object, was implemented to handle the backup
> >> configuration provided at runtime by the user. This new backup base
> >> class requires that the concrete drivers implement a method to validate
> >> the backup context (similar to BackupDriver.check_for_setup_error)
> >>     - the 2 new backup drivers, previously mentioned, were implemented
> >> using these new backup base class.
> >>     - in BackupManager class, the "service" attribute, that on upstream
> >> OpenStack holds the backup driver class name, was re-implemented as a
> >> factory function that accepts a backup context object and return an
> >> instance of a backup driver, according to the backup driver configured
> >> on cinder.conf file and the backup context provided at runtime by the user.
> >>     - All the backup operations continue working as usual.
> >>

> > When this feature was discussed upstream we liked the idea of
> > implementing this like we do multi-backends for the volume service,
> > adding backup-types.
>
> I found this approved spec [1] (that, I believe, is product of the work
> done by eOne that you mentioned before), but I couldn't find any work
> items in progress related to it.
> Do you know the current status of this spec? Is it ready to be
> implemented or is there some more work to be done until there? If we
> decide to work on its implementation, would be required to review, and
> possibly update, the spec for the current development cycle?

Hi,

I think all that would need to be done regarding the spec is to submit a
patch to move it to the current release directory and fix the formatting
issue of the tables from the "Data model impact" section.

You'll be able to leverage Ivan's work [1] when implementing the
multi-backup feature.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/630305