[glance][image-import] local disk space required by image import and conversion

Tony Liu tonyliu0592 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 19:58:25 UTC 2021

Thank you Dan for prompt response!
Tony
From: Dan Smith <dms at danplanet.com>
Sent: November 29, 2021 11:52 AM
To: Tony Liu
Cc: openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org; openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [glance][image-import] local disk space required by image import and conversion

> The target is for user to import .qcow2 image from download site and
> automatically stored as raw image. Read through [1], this seems
> doable. I am not sure the workflow.  Does it download the whole qcow2
> and convert it to raw locally, or download, convert and upload in a
> streaming way, which only require small space for caching?  The
> question is that, how much local disk space is required for such
> import and conversion?

Yep, local disk space is required and must be large enough to handle the
whole conversion (i.e. the qcow2 plus the converted image). Keep in mind
that multiple users could be doing the same, so the disk space
requirement may be large.

Also note that if you either need to configure the local self-reference
URL[1] per worker (if you are running a recent-enough release) or that
storage needs to be shared amongst all the workers for proper operation.

--Dan

1: https://docs.openstack.org/glance/latest/admin/interoperable-image-import.html#staging-directory-configuration