[all][tc] Relmgt team position on release cadence

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 29 13:09:58 UTC 2021

On 2021-11-29 13:21:52 +0100 (+0100), Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
[...]
> My experience at SUSE was that the branching model is even
> debatable: It was more work, and after all, we were taking the
> code we wanted, and put our patches on top if those didn't make
> upstream/weren't backported on time for x reasons (valid or not
> ;)). So basically, for me, the stable branches have very little
> value nowdays from the community perspective (it would be good
> enough if everybody is fixing master, IMO).
[...]

The primary reason stable branches exist is to make it easier for us
to test and publish backports of critical patches to older versions
of the software, rather than expecting our downstream consumers to
do that work themselves. If you're saying distribution package
maintainers are going to do it anyway and ignore our published
backports, then dropping the branching model may make sense, but
I've seen evidence to suggest that at least some distros do consume
our backports directly.
--
Jeremy Stanley