python_requires >= 3.8 during Yoga

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 11:38:17 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-11-26 at 19:48 +0100, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 6:14 PM Alfredo Moralejo Alonso <amoralej at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 4:44 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com>
> > wrote:

> > > I think there is an enormous perception gap between the CentOS team and
> > > the rest of the world.
> > >

> > So, CentOS Stream 9 was released, in the official mirrors and usable since
> > some weeks ago[1][2]. We shouldn't consider it beta or something like that.
> >
> > As mentioned, support for diskimage-builder has been introduced for CS9
> > and there are nodepool nodes ready for it. From RDO, we are providing RPMs
> > for master branch content on CentOS Stream 9 [3] and actually we have been
> > doing some tests. Actually, we have recently merged new jobs in
> > puppet-openstack[4].
> >

> "It's usable since some weeks ago and we even added tests today" is not
> exactly reassuring :) The PTI uses wording "stable and LTS", which applies
> to Stream 9 no more than it applies to Fedora.
thats not quite true.
yes centos 9 is a roling release but it is more stable then fedroa since packages landing in centos 9 stream have been
stablised via fedroa already and any argurments in this regard would also apply to centos 8 stream.

The only reason that centos 8 stream would be more stable then 9 stream is due to less frequent updates as focus moves to 9 stream.
9 stream is effectivly a preview of what whill be rhel 9.

> In the end, what we test with Bifrost is what we will recommend people to
> deploy it in production on. I do believe people can and should deploy on
> Stream 8 despite all the FUD around it, but I cannot do it for Stream 9
> until RHEL 9 is out.

why just because rhel 9.0 is relased does not mean centos 9 is sudennly more stable.
Now that centos 9 has been release there shoudl be no more package removalas form centos/rhel so
it should have stableised in terms of the minium package set and over time we woudl expect more pacakges to be added.
yes centos 8 stream will be supported until the EOL or rhel 8 so people can continue to deploy it.
rhel 9 will be released next year, perhaps not before yoga is released but if you are deploying RDO you will not be useing
RHEL anyway you will be using centos so stream 9 is the better plathform to use if you plan to continue to upgrade the deploy
ment over the next few year as it allow you to avoid the costly OS upgrade when moving to the next openstack relesase.