python_requires >= 3.8 during Yoga

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 13:29:53 UTC 2021

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 1:28 PM Balazs Gibizer <balazs.gibizer at est.tech>
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26 2021 at 11:47:42 AM +0100, Dmitry Tantsur
> <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Note that this decision will force us to stop supporting Bifrost [1]
> > on CentOS/RHEL completely, unless we find a workaround. While Python
> > 3.8 and 3.9 can be installed, they lack critical modules like
> > python3-dnf or python3-firewalld, which cannot be pip-installed
> > (sigh).
> >
> > A similar problem in Metal3: we use python3-mod_wsgi, but I guess we
> > can switch to something else in this case.
>
> I'm not sure I got it. Don't OpenStack already supports py38
> officially? Based on my understanding of the above it is not the case.

Now I'm confused as well :)

OpenStack supports 3.8 and 3.9, CentOS/RHEL ships 3.6 and a limited version
of 3.8 and 3.9. Some Python projects may be okay with it, but Ansible
requires things that cannot be installed unless provided by OS packages (or
built from source). Examples include python3-dnf, python3-libselinux,
python3-firewall and presumably python3-mod_wsgi.

Dmitry