[kolla] Plan to deprecate binary and unify on single distrubition

Michał Nasiadka mnasiadka at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 12:33:25 UTC 2021

Hello Koalas,

On the PTG we have discussed two topics:

1) Deprecate and drop binary type of Kolla images
2) Use a common base (single Linux distribution) for Kolla images

This is a call for feedback - for people that have not been attending the PTG.

What this essentially mean for consumers:

1) In Yoga cycle we will deprecate binary type of Kolla images, and in Z cycle those will be dropped.
2) We are not going to support CentOS Stream 9 (cs9) as a base operating system, and the source type build will rely on CentOS Stream 8 in Z release.
3) Beginning from A release Kolla will build only Debian source images - but Kolla-Ansible will still support deployment of those images on CentOS/Ubuntu/Debian Host operating systems (and Rocky Linux to be added in Yoga to that mix).

Justification:
The Kolla project team is limited in numbers, therefore supporting current broad mix of operating systems (especially with CentOS Stream 9 ,,on the way’’) is a significant maintenance burden.
By dropping binary type of images - users would be running more tested images (since Kolla/Kolla-Ansible CI runs source images jobs as voting).
In Xena we’ve already changed the default image type Kolla-Ansible uses to source.
We also feel that using a unified base OS for Kolla container images is a way to remove some of the maintenance burden (including CI cycles and

Request for feedback:
If any of those changes is a no go from your perspective - we’d like to hear your opinions.

Best regards,
Michal Nasiadka