[all][sdk][neutronclient][neutron] List of projects that use python-neutronclient as "client"

Lajos Katona katonalala at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 12:26:44 UTC 2021

Hi,

During the Yoga PTG we discussed the possibility of deprecating
python-neutronclient (see [0]).
The CLI part of python-neutronclient is already deprecated (see [1]), but
we have python bindings for Neutron both in python-neutronclient and in
openstacksdk.

As python-neutronclient's binding code is widely used as "client" code
(i.e.: Heat, Horizon, Nova), but python-openstackclient uses openstacksdk's
binding code for "client" this means duplicated work and maintenance for
all the bindings.

If we have a new API feature the binding code must go both  to
python-neutronclient to make it available in Heat, and to
openstacksdk to have openstackclient support for it.

The best would be to have the binding code in openstacksdk and deprecate
python-neutronclient, but before we plan anything we would like to have a
list of projects that depend on python-neutronclient.
We identified a few but for sure with python-neutronclient's long history
there are a lot more:
    * Heat
    * Horizon
    * Nova
    * various Networking projects
    * ......

Please share Your thoughts about this topic and the projects which
use python-neutronclient, it would be really helpful to see how we can move
forward.

[0]: https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/neutron-yoga-ptg#L372
[1]: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/python-neutronclient/+/795475

Regards