[all] git-review broken by git version 2.34.0

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Nov 17 14:48:42 UTC 2021

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021, at 3:07 AM, Pierre Riteau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to the latest git release 2.34.0 and noticed it
> breaks git-review (output below is with -v):
>
>     Errors running git rebase -p -i remotes/gerrit/stable/xena
>     fatal: --preserve-merges was replaced by --rebase-merges
>
> I submitted a patch [1], but since it would break compatibility with
> git versions older than 2.18 that don't support the --rebase-merges
> (-r) option, it may need to be refined before being merged.

Ubuntu Bionic and CentOS7 both have older git versions than 2.18. If it isn't terrible to continue to support older git that may be a good idea, but we can also suggest those installations pin their git-review to the current version instead.

As a side note the man page for git rebase says that --preserve-merges and --interactive are incompatible options and yet they are both set in the failed command above. I wonder what sort of behavior we were getting out of git when this "worked".