[all][tc] What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 5th Nov, 21: Reading: 10 min

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Nov 5 19:07:47 UTC 2021

Hello Everyone,

Here is this week's summary of the Technical Committee activities.

1. TC Meetings:
============
* TC this week IRC meeting held on Nov 5th Thursday.

* Most of the meeting discussions are summarized below (Completed or in-progress activities
section). Meeting full recording are available @
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bt6iNaR3oI
- IRC chat summary (topics and links): https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2021/tc.2021-11-04-15.02.log.html

* Next week's meeting will be on IRC on Nov 11th, Thursday 15:00 UTC,
feel free the topic on agenda[1] by Nov 10th.

2. What we completed this week:
=========================
* Retired kolla-cli [2]
* Removed oslo independent deliverables from stable policy[3]
* Magnum PTL is changed from Feilong Wang to Spryos[4]

3. Activities In progress:
==================
TC Tracker for Yoga cycle
------------------------------
* I have started the etherpad to collect the Yoga cycle targets for TC[5].

Open Reviews
-----------------
* Eleven open reviews for ongoing activities[6].

RBAC discussion: continuing from PTG
We had a discussion on Wed and sort out the many points especially on
get-all-project resources or system and project scoped isolation. Complete
notes are in this etherpad[7]. Lance is re-working on the goal and new
implementation/details, feel free to review it for more feedback[8].

We will continue the discussion on next Wed Nov 10th same time[9], feel
free to join for any additional query related to your project specific and we will
also discuss about what all bits we can do in Yoga cycle and what all to move
as next targets.

Decouple the community-wide goals from cycle release
* As discussed in PTG, we are de-coupling the community-wide goals from
release cycle so that we can improve the community-wide goal selection and
its completion workflow where goals are multi-cycle like RBAC etc.

* Proposal is up, please review and add your feedback[10].

Yoga release community-wide goal
* With the continuing the discussion on RBAC, we are re-working on the RBAC goal,
please wait until we finalize the implementation[11]

* There is one more goal proposal for 'FIPS compatibility and compliance'[12].

Adjutant need maintainers and PTLs
You might have seen the email[13] from Adrian to call the maintainer for Adjutant project,
please reply to that email or here or on openstack-tc channel if you are interested to
maintain this project. We will wait for next week also and if no-one shows up for help then
we will start the retirement process.

New project 'Skyline' proposal
------------------------------------
* We discussed it in TC PTG and there are few open points about python packaging,
repos, and plugins plan which we are discussion on ML.

* Still waiting from skyline team to work on the above points[14].

Updating the Yoga testing runtime
* As centos stream 9 is released, I have updated the Yoga testing runtime[15] with:
1. Add Debian 11 as tested distro
2. Change centos stream 8 -> centos stream 9
3. Bump lowest python version to test to 3.8 and highest to python 3.9

Stable Core team process change
---------------------------------------
* Current proposal is under review[16]. Feel free to provide early feedback if you have any.
* This is ready to merge and I will do that week early, feel free to add feedback if any.

Merging 'Technical Writing' SIG Chair/Maintainers to TC
* Work to merge this SIG to TC is up for review[17].
* No response on usage and maintaining help for openstack/training-labs repo[18]
and in TC meeting we decided to retire it next week. If you use or would like to
maintain this, this is last chance to raise hand.

TC tags analysis
-------------------
* TC agreed to remove the framework and it is communicated in ML[19].

Project updates
-------------------
* Retiring js-openstack-lib [20]

4. How to contact the TC:
====================
If you would like to discuss or give feedback to TC, you can reach out to us in multiple ways:

1. Email: you can send the email with tag [tc] on openstack-discuss ML[21].
2. Weekly meeting: The Technical Committee conduct a weekly meeting every Thursday 15 UTC [22]
3. Office hours: The Technical Committee offers a weekly office hour every Tuesday at 0100 UTC [23]
4. Ping us using 'tc-members' nickname on #openstack-tc IRC channel.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Next_Meeting
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/814603
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/816828
[4] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/816431