[all][tc] Relmgt team position on release cadence

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Nov 5 18:25:29 UTC 2021

On 2021-11-05 17:47:13 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> if we were to intoduce LTS release we would have to agree on what
> they were as a compunity and we would need to support roling
> upgrade between LTS versions
[...]

Yes, but what about upgrades between LTS and non-LTS versions (from
or to)? Do we test all those as well? And if we don't, are users
likely to want to use the non-LTS versions at all knowing they might
be unable to cleanly update from them to an LTS version later on?

> so something like  1 lts release a year maintained for 2 years
> with normal release every 6 months that are only maintianed for 6
> months
[...]

To restate what I said in my other reply, this assumes a future
where skip-level upgrades are possible. Otherwise what happens with
a series of releases like A,b,C,d,E where A/C/E are the LTS releases
and b/d are the non-LTS releases and someone who's using A wants to
upgrade to C but we've already stopped maintaining b and can't
guarantee it's even installable any longer?

If the LTS idea is interesting to people, then we should take a step
back and work on switching from FFU to SLU first. If we can't solve
that, then there's no point to having non-LTS releases.
--
Jeremy Stanley