[TripleO] Branching our documentation

Brent Eagles beagles at redhat.com
Wed Nov 3 18:45:55 UTC 2021

On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 01:02:29PM -0400, James Slagle wrote:
> Hello TripleO Owls,
>
> Our documentation, particularly the deploy guide, has become overly complex
> with all the branches that TripleO has supported over the years. I see
> notes that document functionality specific to releases all the way back to
> Mitaka!
>
> In ancient history, we made the decision to not branch our documentation
> because the work to maintain multiple branches outweighed the effort to
> just document all releases at once in the same branch.
>
> I think the scale has now tipped in the other direction. I propose that we
> create a stable/wallaby in tripleo-docs, and begin making the master branch
> specific to Yoga. This would also mean we could clean up all the old notes
> and admonitions about previous releases on the master branch.

Agreed! As it stands, even wallaby is quite different than victoria and
earlier for the overcloud deployment and
https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/tripleo-docs/latest/deployment/install_overcloud.html
isn't particular helpful after a point. I've tried to update it a few
times with the "bare essential" steps but it feels so badly forked, I
couldn't follow it.

> Going forward, if you make a change to the docs that applies to Yoga and
> Wallaby, you would need to backport that change to stable/wallaby.
>
> If you needed to make a change that applied only to Wallaby (or a prior
> release), you would make that change only on stable/wallaby.
>
> I'm not sure of all the plumbing required to make it so that the OpenStack
> Wallaby deploy guide builds from stable/wallaby, etc, but I wanted to get
> the idea out there first for feedback. Please let me know your thoughts.
> Thank you!
>
> --
> -- James Slagle
> --