[TripleO] Branching our documentation

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Nov 3 17:33:45 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-11-03 at 13:02 -0400, James Slagle wrote:
> Hello TripleO Owls,
>
> Our documentation, particularly the deploy guide, has become overly complex
> with all the branches that TripleO has supported over the years. I see
> notes that document functionality specific to releases all the way back to
> Mitaka!
>
> In ancient history, we made the decision to not branch our documentation
> because the work to maintain multiple branches outweighed the effort to
> just document all releases at once in the same branch.
>
> I think the scale has now tipped in the other direction. I propose that we
> create a stable/wallaby in tripleo-docs, and begin making the master branch
> specific to Yoga. This would also mean we could clean up all the old notes
> and admonitions about previous releases on the master branch.
+1 as some one that very really uses ooo and who always need to look at the documentation
when i do try to use it i find the current docs very hard to parse due to all the differnt release annotations
inline. the ooo docs themselve are not actully that extensive upstream and you can read all or most of them in one afternoon
but parsing them and the parts that apply to the relase you are trying to deploy is a lot more effort then the branached
docs in other projects. i think this definetly help the new user and might also help those that are more expirnce with ooo too.