threat to freenode (where openstack irc hangs out)

Patryk Jakuszew patryk.jakuszew at gmail.com
Wed May 26 07:38:07 UTC 2021

On Wed, 26 May 2021, 09:21 Patryk Jakuszew <patryk.jakuszew at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2021, 08:45 Cédric Jeanneret <cjeanner at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I think we shouldn't let this one die in silence. Apparently, new
>> policies are being enforcing within Freenode and, if by mistake, a
>> channel promotes another IRC network in their topic, they will be taken
>> by freenode staff - meaning loss of rights, loss of ownership, and topic
>> will be changed.
>>

> To be more specific, around 700 channels were just purged and moved to
> offtopic (double hash) namespace *just for having "libera" mentioned in its
> title.*

Sorry, "purged" is an incorrect term. What I actually meant is that a bot
entered each channel containing "libera" in its title, changed the topic to
something like this:

05:02:55 freenodecom set the topic: This channel has moved to
##channelname. The topic is in violation of freenode policy:
https://freenode.net/policies

and then created a new ##-prefixed channel.