threat to freenode (where openstack irc hangs out)

Patryk Jakuszew patryk.jakuszew at gmail.com
Wed May 26 07:21:38 UTC 2021

On Wed, 26 May 2021, 08:45 Cédric Jeanneret <cjeanner at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I think we shouldn't let this one die in silence. Apparently, new
> policies are being enforcing within Freenode and, if by mistake, a
> channel promotes another IRC network in their topic, they will be taken
> by freenode staff - meaning loss of rights, loss of ownership, and topic
> will be changed.

To be more specific, around 700 channels were just purged and moved to
offtopic (double hash) namespace *just for having "libera" mentioned in its
title.*

It makes the case rather clear: Freenode is now indeed operated by hostile
entity treating the once-popular communications platform as their own
playground.