Freenode and libera.chat

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon May 24 13:28:16 UTC 2021

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 7:09 AM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2021-05-21 14:14:30 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2021-05-21 12:36:29 +0100 (+0100), Erno Kuvaja wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Looking at the movement over the past day, it seems like we're the
> > > only hesitant party here. Rest of the communities have either
> > > moved to libera.chat or OFTC. I'd strongly advise us to do the
> > > same before things turn sour.
> >
> > OpenStack isn't the only community taking a careful and measured
> > approach to the decision. Ansible deferred deciding what to do about
> > their IRC channels until Wednesday of this coming week:
> >
> >     https://github.com/ansible-community/community-topics/issues/19
>
> In a similar vein, I've noticed that #python, #python-dev, #pypa and
> so on haven't moved off Freenode yet, though the topic in #python
> suggests there's some ongoing discussion to determine whether they
> should. Unfortunately it doesn't say where that's being discussed
> though, maybe on the Python community mailing lists or Discourse,
> however cursory searches I've performed turn up nothing.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

I suspect they, like everyone else who has seen some of the latest
rules changes[0] and a report[1] of abuses of power, are looking at
treading lightly in order to do the best thing for their community. I
suspect we're going to see a mass migration to other platforms or
tools, regardless at this point in time. The rules changes are just
going to make it more difficult to keep the existing channels as
redirects.

I firmly believe this is no longer a matter of should, but we now have
an imperative to ensure community communication continuity. If the
higher level project doesn't wish to come to quick consensus, then I
believe individual projects will make their own decisions and we'll
end up fragmenting the communication channels until things settle
down.

[0]: https://github.com/freenode/web-7.0/pull/513/commits/2037126831a84c57f978268f090fc663cf43ed7a#diff-0e382b024f696a3b7a0ff3bce24ae3166cc6f383d059c7cc61e0a3ccdeed522c
[1]: https://www.devever.net/~hl/freenode_abuse