Freenode and libera.chat

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri May 21 12:08:25 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 08:21:14AM -0400, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:23 AM Erno Kuvaja <ekuvaja at redhat.com> wrote:

[...]

> There is two sides to each story, this is the other one:
>
> https://freenode.net/news/freenode-is-foss

There may be two sides; but in this specific case, the said person's
erratic behaviour is clearly and utterly unreliable.

> I recommend that so long that we don't have any problems, we keep
> things as is.

I doubt if it's sensible to "keep things as-is".  I think we should go
with the low-friction options (the Infra team is small and are already
overloaded) that were already discussed:

(a) move to Libera.Chat (this also shows solidarity with the former
    Freenode staff, now at Libera, who were doing a lot of unthankful,
    but important work); or

(b) move to OFTC network

Obviously, there's no rush to implement this.  And with *either* of
these options, if there's time and energy, also have the Matrix bridge
available to accomodate those who don't prefer IRC.  But this is a
really-nice-to-have.  (And let's not forget: _if_ we do move, there's
other grunt work like updating all public documentation, clear
communication, etc.)

            * * *

For comparison, this is Fedora's on-going proposal:
https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issue/372
https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issue/371

--
/kashyap