Freenode and libera.chat

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Fri May 21 11:36:29 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 1:21 PM Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:23 AM Erno Kuvaja <ekuvaja at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For those of you who have not woken up to this sad day yet. Andrew Lee
> has taken his stance as owner of freenode ltd. and by the (one sided) story
> of the former volunteer staff members basically forced the whole community
> out.
> >
> > As there is history of LTM shutting down networks before (snoonet), it
> is appropriate to expect that the intentions here are not aligned with the
> communities and specially the users who's data he has access to via this
> administrative takeover.
> >
> > I think it's our time to take swift action and show our support to all
> the hard working volunteers who were behind freenode and move all our
> activities to irc.libera.chat.
> >
> > Please see https://twitter.com/freenodestaff and Christian's letter
> which links to the others as well
> https://fuchsnet.ch/freenode-resign-letter.txt
> >
> > Best,
> > Erno 'jokke' Kuvaja
>
> There is two sides to each story, this is the other one:
>
> https://freenode.net/news/freenode-is-foss
>
> I recommend that so long that we don't have any problems, we keep things
> as is.
>
> --
> Mohammed Naser
> VEXXHOST, Inc.

I'm clearly not the only one concerned about this approach. Just to
reiterate that Mr. Lee has history of these things (snoonet for example)
and after the volunteer staff walked out and sponsors moved their servers,
this is effectively a new network with an old domain name and like he
points out in that release, he has no intentions to keep things as they
were.

Looking at the movement over the past day, it seems like we're the only
hesitant party here. Rest of the communities have either moved to
libera.chat or OFTC. I'd strongly advise us to do the same before things
turn sour.

- jokke