Freenode and libera.chat

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu May 20 19:35:01 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-20 20:52:30 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> No, I do not want that anyone keeps any logs of the things on IRC. I
> don't like it. I would prefer if the Foundation was not keeping any IRC
> log using some bots. If that's useful, then please erase these logs
> after a month. Otherwise, it's like putting a microphone in my office,
> and listening to what I say to my colleagues (at least, it's the same
> feeling).

"The foundation" isn't doing anything in particular related to IRC.
The OpenDev Collaboratory on the other hand runs an IRC bot which
channels can opt into for long-term logging of discussions. Those
logs are published here:

    http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/

Some, like #openstack-dev, have (quite literally) a decade of
historical channel logs. I see it as an important archival record of
the project's open development and design, almost all the way back
to its very origins.
--
Jeremy Stanley