Freenode and libera.chat

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu May 20 18:37:02 UTC 2021

On 5/20/21 6:02 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 5:50 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org
> <mailto:zigo at debian.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/20/21 2:35 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>     > Well, it could be a norm for us. Pretty much every IRC meeting someone
>     > interrupts with their question. If the meeting was in a thread, it
>     > wouldn't be an issue. Interleaving communications also happen very
>     often.
>
>     Threads is the most horrible concept ever invented for chat. You get
>     100s of them, and when someone replies, you never know in which thread.
>     Slack is really horrible for this...
>

> Problems of Slack UI are not problems with threading. Slack is terrible,
> no disagreement here.
>
> Also, do I understand you right that when you have 3 conversations going
> on at the same time, you always have an easy time understanding which
> one a ping corresponds to? I doubt it. Threads make the situation
> strictly better, assuming people don't go overboard with them.

Today, I just had to ask my colleague from which thread it was, then he
replied once more in the thread, and I could click fast enough in the
notification bubble. If you don't do that then, here's the UI disaster... :

Typically, in a single day, many threads starts. Then someone reply to
one of the early threads. I get the notification, but I have no idea
from which thread it comes from. Then I waste a lot of time searching
for it. Yes, there's the "threads" entry on top left, but it takes a
long time to use too (at least 3 clicks, each of them opening a new screen).

Compare this to IRC: someone highlights my name, I just click in the
notification area, and Quassel opens on the correct channel, with the
line with my name highlighted.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)