Freenode and libera.chat

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu May 20 16:02:43 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 5:50 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 5/20/21 2:35 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> > Well, it could be a norm for us. Pretty much every IRC meeting someone
> > interrupts with their question. If the meeting was in a thread, it
> > wouldn't be an issue. Interleaving communications also happen very often.
>
> Threads is the most horrible concept ever invented for chat. You get
> 100s of them, and when someone replies, you never know in which thread.
> Slack is really horrible for this...

Problems of Slack UI are not problems with threading. Slack is terrible, no
disagreement here.

Also, do I understand you right that when you have 3 conversations going on
at the same time, you always have an easy time understanding which one a
ping corresponds to? I doubt it. Threads make the situation strictly
better, assuming people don't go overboard with them.

Another counter-argument: not having threads forces newcomers to use
private messages. I cannot count how many times I've heard "asking here
because I don't want to disturb the conversation".

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael