Freenode and libera.chat

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu May 20 12:23:07 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-05-20 at 09:30 +0200, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 3:42 PM Erno Kuvaja <ekuvaja at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 2:34 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Probably not the best timing, but should we consider (again) running a
> > > more advanced free software chat system? E.g. Outreachy uses Zulip, Mozilla
> > > - Matrix, there are probably more.
> > >
> > > Yeah I'd say not the greatest timing to start such a conversation under
> > pressure.
> >
> > FWIF I'd rather not. The signal to noise ratio tends to be very poor on
> > all of them with their stickers, gifs and all the active media crap
> > embedded in them.
> >

> FWIW we face the need to paste images very often (screenshots of booting
> bare metal), so having a native image pasting is a plus to me.
>
> Actually, text pasting as well. If you've ever encountered someone pasting
> 50 lines of a traceback to IRC, you know why.

> Other features I'm looking for include:
> 1) Native authentication
> 2) Chat history and offline messages
> 3) Editing and deleting messages
i actully think this ^ in partacalar is not something we want to have.
at least not for arbiary tiem because it can retoactivly cahnge the context or tone of a
conversation so deleteion and modifcation should be avoid retoactivly.

> 4) Threads (or any other way of sub-division of channels)
im not sure about this but in limited cases it might be useful generally thouhg spliting
a channel i think woudl be a disadvantage as generally you want to have input form the channel as a whole
breakout rooms can be useful from tim eto time but that is not typically the norm.
> 5) Moderation tools (better than #openstack-unregistered which is hostile
> to newcomers)
we have generel done well without needing to do active moderation.
#openstack-unregistered only was put in place to stop spam which is slightly differnt the moderation
in terems of kicks and bans form a channel which i dont recall ever needing to use upstream at least in the nova channel.
perhaps it has happened but that type of moderation largely has been unneed and i hope it will remain that way.