[E] Re: Freenode and libera.chat

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu May 20 08:35:37 UTC 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 4:48 PM Jay Faulkner <jay.faulkner at verizonmedia.com>
wrote:

> I am in agreement we should move off freenode as a result of these
> resignations and information coming to light. IMO, we should execute a
> minimalistic server change to OFTC or libera, and not gum up this emergency
> migration with attempts to change protocol as well as server for OpenStack
> chats.

I absolutely back this idea of a very minimalistic and least move to
another network, be OFTC.
For the exact reason that we have a large community that periodically uses
our IRC channels, we can't just make a big bang in urgency and we need to
define a reasonable transition plan for ensuring that nobody gets lost in
the middle.

Also, from what I can read, there is no matter of urgency for such of a big
move. I'd suggest us to continue using Freenode channels for a while, with
a clear redirect message explaining visitors that we moved (and where they
can find us now).

-Sylvain

-