Freenode and libera.chat

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu May 20 01:03:31 UTC 2021

On Wed, 19 May 2021 14:19:02 +0100
Erno Kuvaja <ekuvaja at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think it's our time to take swift action and show our support to all the
> hard working volunteers who were behind freenode and move all our
> activities to irc.libera.chat.

I would prefer to take a deliberate action instead.

The leaders of the split admit that their actions
were planned in advance. It says so at their website:

"In early 2021, that changed. ... This was the writing on the wall.
As a precautionary measure, we began laying the groundwork for what
would become Libera.Chat."

So they were plotting this for a long time and we're supposed
to jump swiftly? That doesn't seem very fair.

-- Pete