[infra] threat to freenode (where openstack irc hangs out)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon May 17 14:56:35 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-17 14:12:42 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2021-05-17 06:08:20 -0700 (-0700), Julia Kreger wrote:
> > If the situation doesn't sort itself out, perhaps a logical course
> > of action is to create a CNAME record, and have something like
> > irc.openinfra.dev moving forward, That way the community could
> > move again without updating documentation... at least past the
> > very first mass-doc update.
> [...]
>
> Yes, thanks for the reminder. I think we had previously agreed this
> would be a sensible way of engineering it. I suppose the last time
> it came up was in the pre-OpenDev days, but I still think having it
> be a general OpenDev signal as to where we're maintaining our
> service bots makes sense, and makes future relocations easier. This
> is what irc.gnome.org does, for example (it's currently a CNAME to
> irc.gimp.org).
[...]

Though as dansmith correctly pointed out in #openstack-infra just
now, this would break some IRC-over-SSL configurations (unless the
CNAME could get added as a SubjectAltName in the server cert
somehow, which would require us to negotiate that with the operators
of the networks in question, making this a not particularly nimble
solution).
--
Jeremy Stanley