[octavia][tripleo][kolla][stable][release] $series-eol delete problem

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Mon May 17 13:29:11 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 11:41 PM Előd Illés <elod.illes at est.tech> wrote:

> Hi teams in $SUBJECT,
>
> during the deletion of $series-eol tagged branches it turned out that
> the below listed branches / repositories contains merged patches on top
> of $series-eol tag. The issue is with this that whenever the branch is
> deleted only the $series-eol (and other) tags can be checked out, so the
> changes that were merged after the eol tags, will be *lost*.
>
> There are two options now:
>
> 1. Create another tag (something like: "$series-eol-extra"), so that the
> extra patches will not be lost completely, because they can be checked
> out with the newly created tags
>
> 2. Delete the branch anyway and don't care about the lost patch(es)
>
> Here are the list of such branches, please consider which option is good
> for the team and reply to this mail:

Hello Elod

thank you for all your work on this and apologies for the commits
after the eol tag

Personally I vote for the easiest path which I believe is option 2
here just discard those commits and remove the branch. I think 2 of
the three flagged here are mine (:/ sorry I should know better ;)) so
ack from me but adding owalsh/dbengt into the cc as the other commit
is his.

Some more comments/pointers inline thanks:

> openstack/octavia
> * stable/stein has patches on top of the stein-eol tag
> * stable/queens has patches on top of the queens-eol tag
>
> openstack/kolla
> * stable/pike has patches on top of the pike-eol tag
> * stable/ocata has patches on top of the ocata-eol tag
>
> openstack/tripleo-common
> * stable/rocky has patches on top of the rocky-eol tag

for tripleo-common this is the patch in question:

        * https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-common/compare/rocky-eol...stable/rocky
        * https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-common/commit/77a0c827cbb02c3374d72f48973ba24d6c34d50c
        *  Ensure tripleo ansible inventory file update is atomic
https://review.opendev.org/q/Ifa41bfcb921496978f82aee4e67fdb419cf9ffc5
 (cherry picked from commit 8e082f4 * (cherry picked from commit
c1af9b7) * (squashing commits as the 1st patch is failing in the stein
gate without
the fix from the 2nd patch)
        * https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tripleo-common/+/765502

so cc'ing owalsh to allow him to raise an objection will also reach
out on irc after I send this and point to it ;)

> openstack/os-apply-config
> * stable/pike has patches on top of the pike-eol tag

        * https://github.com/openstack/os-apply-config/compare/pike-eol...stable/pike
        * https://github.com/openstack/os-apply-config/commit/1fcccb880e30522d66238b205a48d553a050c562
        *  Remove tripleo-multinode-container|baremetal-minimal from layout
        * Change-Id: I6715edd673b45dad6fba7d1987eac8677f61eaa2
        *  2 zuul.d/layout.yaml
                *
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/os-apply-config/+/777527

> * stable/ocata has patches on top of the ocata-eol tag

        * https://github.com/openstack/os-apply-config/compare/ocata-eol...stable/ocata
        * https://github.com/openstack/os-apply-config/commit/31768f04a30023a0d54099c1aeb80134ffe5dd64
        *  Remove tripleo-multinode-container|baremetal-minimal from layout
        * Change-Id: Iefe3eed322f1102344c6b54531c61a41ce4d227b
        *  9 zuul.d/layout.yaml
                *
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/os-apply-config/+/777533

both of those are mine so ack from me on nuking them

thanks to you and all the release team for checking and for your work
on this and all the release things

regards, marios