[Octavia][Victoria] No service listening on port 9443 in the amphora instance

Luke Camilleri luke.camilleri at zylacomputing.com
Wed May 5 16:33:53 UTC 2021

Hi there, i am trying to get Octavia running on a Victoria deployment on
CentOS 8. It was a bit rough getting to the point to launch an instance
mainly due to the load-balancer management network and the lack of
documentation
(https://docs.openstack.org/octavia/victoria/install/install.html) to
deploy this oN CentOS. I will try to fix this once I have my deployment
up and running to help others on the way installing and configuring this :-)

At this point a LB can be launched by the tenant and the instance is
spawned in the Octavia project and I can ping and SSH into the amphora
instance from the Octavia node where the octavia-health-manager service
is running using the IP within the same subnet of the amphoras
(172.16.0.0/12).

Unfortunately I keep on getting these errors in the log file of the
worker log (/var/log/octavia/worker.log):

2021-05-05 01:54:49.368 14521 WARNING
octavia.amphorae.drivers.haproxy.rest_api_driver [-] Could not connect
to instance. Retrying.: requests.exceptions.ConnectionError:
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='172.16.4.46', p
ort=9443): Max retries exceeded with url: // (Caused by
NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object
at 0x7f83e0181550>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111]
Connection ref
used',))

2021-05-05 01:54:54.374 14521 ERROR
octavia.amphorae.drivers.haproxy.rest_api_driver [-] Connection retries
(currently set to 120) exhausted.  The amphora is unavailable. Reason:
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='172.16
.4.46', port=9443): Max retries exceeded with url: // (Caused by
NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object
at 0x7f83e0181550>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Conne
ction refused',))

2021-05-05 01:54:54.374 14521 ERROR
octavia.controller.worker.v1.tasks.amphora_driver_tasks [-] Amphora
compute instance failed to become reachable. This either means the
compute driver failed to fully boot the
instance inside the timeout interval or the instance is not reachable
via the lb-mgmt-net.:
octavia.amphorae.driver_exceptions.exceptions.TimeOutException:
contacting the amphora timed out

obviously the instance is deleted then and the task fails from the
tenant's perspective.

The main issue here is that there is no service running on port 9443 on
the amphora instance. I am assuming that this is in fact the
amphora-agent service that is running on the instance which should be
listening on this port 9443 but the service does not seem to be up or
not installed at all.

To create the image I have installed the CentOS package
"openstack-octavia-diskimage-create" which provides the utility
disk-image-create but from what I can conclude the amphora-agent is not
being installed (thought this was done automatically by default :-( )

Can anyone let me know if the amphora-agent is what gets queried on port
9443 ?

If the agent is not installed/injected by default when building the
amphora image?

The command to inject the amphora-agent into the amphora image when
using the disk-image-create command?

Thanks in advance for any assistance