Rocky Linux for Openstack

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Tue May 4 13:35:49 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 2:42 AM Tim Bell <tim.bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> On 3 May 2021, at 23:07, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Rocky Linux claims to be 100% compatible with Red Hat's OS family [1], so
> I don't see any reason why you couldn't use RPMs from RDO:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/environment-packages-rdo.html#enable-the-openstack-repository
>
> [1] Source: https://rockylinux.org
>

> I wonder if there would be some compatibility problems with using RDO on a
> RHEL compatible OS. If RDO is built against CentOS Stream [1], could it
> potentially have some dependencies on python packages which are due to be
> released in the next RHEL minor update (since Stream is on the latest
> version) ?

Generally RDO isn't specifying a version when building packages so it's
likely to be compatible.  CentOS Stream will just have things that'll show
up in the next version of Rocky Linux. For stable releases it's likely to
just be compatible, whereas master might run into issues if new base os
dependencies get added.