[kolla] does someone uses AArch64 images?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Mar 30 19:30:19 UTC 2021

On 3/30/21 3:20 PM, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

>>> The thing is - no one asked for Debian/binary images so far so I did
>>> not bothered you.
>>>
>>> Your team provides packages for already released OpenStack stuff.
>>> From Kolla point of view it means that at beginning of a new
>>> development cycle we would need to get images for previous release
>>> with Debian binary packages built, tested and backported.
>>
>> I used to package every beta (b1, b2, b3). But then, nobody was
>> consuming them, so I stopped. And the harsh reality right now, is that
>> most projects stopped producing these bX releases.
>>
>> Today, I'm already done with the packaging of all RC1 releases, and
>> I'm already beginning to test installing them. This is 2 days after
>> the RCs.
>
> Are they available somewhere online so they can be tested?

Of course: either through extrepo (for example: "extrepo enable
openstack_wallaby") or directly at:
http://osbpo.debian.net/debian/

Look into the "dists" folder to see all what's available: at the moment,
all from jessie-liberty to bullseye-wallaby.

>> So I'm not sure what more I could do... If you wish to participate and
>> provide intermediary releases using Git, that's possible, but that
>> means someone needs to participate and do it. I can't be full time
>> doing packaging like I used to when I was employed to do only that
>> (these days, I maintain my own installer and 8 clusters in
>> production...).
>
> I am aware that building OpenStack packages is not your daily job anymore.

It is part of my daily job, but not 100% of my time. Maybe 20%...

>> Again, I very much would love to collaborate and help you doing more
>> with the Debian binary stuff for ARM.
> I can check are there free resources left for providing you AArch64
> machine for builds.

I'm ok to do the setup, and explain how to use the box, however, someone
else will have to babysit the build process: I don't want to just do it
for free, with no return, when I'm not using ARM boxes myself.

Note that I need one Jenkins builder VM per OpenStack release, and that
the setup is done using Ansible.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)