[kolla] does someone uses AArch64 images?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Mar 29 17:48:04 UTC 2021

On 3/29/21 5:34 PM, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> W dniu 23.03.2021 o 14:36, Thomas Goirand pisze:
>> On 3/23/21 12:43 PM, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>
>>> AArch64 support in Kolla(-Ansible) project is present since Ocata
>>> (iirc). For most of that time we supported all three distributions:
>>> CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> # Distribution coverage
>>>
>>> Debian is source only as there never was any source of up-to-date
>>> OpenStack packages (Debian OpenStack team builds only x86-64 packages
>>> and they do it after release).
>>>
>>> # My interest
>>>
>>> I take care of Debian/source ones as we use them at Linaro in our
>>> developer cloud setups. It often means backporting of fixes when we
>>> upgrade from one previous release to something newer.
>>
>> Getting binary support is just a mater of rebuilding packages for arm64.
>> I once did that for you setting-up a Jenkins machine just for
>> rebuilding. It's really a shame that you guys aren't following that
>> road. You'd have all of my support if you did. I personally don't have
>> access to the necessary hardware for it, and wont use the arm64 repos...
>
> The thing is - no one asked for Debian/binary images so far so I did not
> bothered you.
>
> Your team provides packages for already released OpenStack stuff. From
> Kolla point of view it means that at beginning of a new development
> cycle we would need to get images for previous release with Debian
> binary packages built, tested and backported.

I used to package every beta (b1, b2, b3). But then, nobody was
consuming them, so I stopped. And the harsh reality right now, is that
most projects stopped producing these bX releases.

Today, I'm already done with the packaging of all RC1 releases, and I'm
already beginning to test installing them. This is 2 days after the RCs.
No other distribution beats me on this timing. So I'm not sure what more
I could do... If you wish to participate and provide intermediary
releases using Git, that's possible, but that means someone needs to
participate and do it. I can't be full time doing packaging like I used
to when I was employed to do only that (these days, I maintain my own
installer and 8 clusters in production...).

Radosław Piliszek often ask me about the status of Debian packages, and
he manages to maintain compat in OSA using them. Why can't you do it?

Again, I very much would love to collaborate and help you doing more
with the Debian binary stuff for ARM.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)