[tc][release] Networking-midonet current status and Wallaby release

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Mon Mar 29 11:06:31 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 11:52:59AM +0200, Herve Beraud wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The main question is, does the previous Victoria version [1] will be
> compatible with the latest neutron changes and with the latest engine
> facade introduced during Wallaby?

It won't be compatible. Networking-midonet from Victoria will not work properly
with Neutron Wallaby.

> Releasing an unfixed engine facade code is useless, so we shouldn't release
> a new version of networking-midonet, because the project code won't be
> compatible with the rest of our projects (AFAIK neutron), unless, the
> previous version will not compatible either, and, unless, not releasing a
> Wallaby version leave the project branch uncut and so leave the
> corresponding series unmaintainable, and so unfixable a posteriori.
>
> If we do not release a new version then we will use a previous version of
> networking-midonet. This version will be the last Victoria version [1].
>
> I suppose that this version (the victoria version) isn't compatible with
> the new facade engine either, isn't it?

Correct. It's not compatible.

> So release or not release a new version won't solve the facade engine
> problem, isn't?

Yes.

> You said that neutron evolved and networking-midonet didn't, hence even if
> we release networking-midonet in the current state it will fail too, isn't
> it?

Also yes :)

> However, releasing a new version and branching on it can give you the
> needed maintenance window to allow you to fix the issue later, when your
> gates will be fixed and then patches backported. git tags are cheap.
>
> We should notice that since Victoria some patches have been merged in
> Wallaby so even if they aren't ground breaking changes they are changes
> that it is worth to release.
>
> From a release point of view I think it's worth it to release a new version
> and to cut Wallaby. We are close to the it's deadline. That will land the
> available delta between Victoria and Wallaby. That will allow to fix the
> engine facade by opening a maintenance window. If the project is still
> lacking maintainers in a few weeks / months, this will allow a more smooth
> deprecation of this one.
>
> Thoughts?

Based on Your feedback I agree that we should release now what we have. Even if
it's broken we can then fix it and backport fixes to stable/wallaby branch.

@Akihiro: are You ok with that too?