[kolla] Feedback request: removing OracleLinux support

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Wed Mar 24 09:36:34 UTC 2021

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 at 14:15, Stefan Kelber <Stefan.Kelber at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Stefan,

> i just found this thread, in the situation to apparently have to move to ORACLE Linux, away from CentOS, as long as potential licening implications are up in the air, if i got all that right so far.
> My questions actually are now:
> - Would i have trouble today, if using ORACLE Linux for implementing Victoria via Kolla-Ansible?

We dropped support for OracleLinux in the Train cycle [1]. We have a
large support matrix and a small team in Kolla, and after Oracle left
the community, we looked for feedback on usage of OracleLinux and did
not find any users.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/kolla/train.html#relnotes-9-0-0-stable-train-upgrade-notes

> - And/or would it be feasible for the mid term to reactivate support for ORACLE LINUX, until the dust has settled?

I don't expect to see much support within the community for that.

> - On the long: will streaming change how OpenStack will be deployed via Kolla-Ansible?

I will assume you mean CentOS stream here. We are switching to a
CentOS stream base container image in the Wallaby release. It remains
to be seen how stable that will be. Typically a CentOS Linux minor
release will cause us some breakage, and we will expect to see that
occurring with CentOS stream, possibly on a more frequent basis.

If you are not confident in CentOS stream, you might consider Ubuntu
or Debian which are also supported by Kolla.