[neutron][requirements] RFE requested for neutron-lib

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 15:44:41 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 04:14:53PM +0100, Herve Beraud wrote:
> If projects that use neutron-lib want this specific version of neutron-lib
> then I guess that yes they need to update their requirements and then
> re-release... We already freezed releases bor lib and client-lib few days
> ago if the update is outside this scope (services or UI) then I think we
> could accept it, else it will require lot of re-release and I don't think
> we want to do that, especially now that branching of those is on the rails.
>
> Le lun. 15 mars 2021 à 15:22, Matthew Thode <mthode at mthode.org> a écrit :
>
> > On 21-03-15 12:37:16, Slawek Kaplonski wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm raising this RFE to ask if we can release, and include new version
> > of the
> > > neutron-lib in the Wallaby release.
> > > Neutron already migrated all our policy rules to use new personas like
> > > system-reader or system-admin. Recently Lance found bug [1] with those
> > new
> > > personas.
> > > Fix for that is now merged in neutron-lib [2].
> > > This fix required bump the oslo_context dependency in lower-constraints
> > and
> > > that lead us to bump many other dependencies versions. But in fact all
> > those
> > > new versions are now aligned with what we already have in the Neutron's
> > > requirements so in fact neutron-lib was tested with those new versions
> > of the
> > > packages every time it was run with Neutron master branch.
> > >
> > > I already proposed release patch for neutron-lib [3].
> > > Please let me know if I You need anything else regrarding this RFE.
> > >
> > > [1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1918506
> > > [2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron-lib/+/780204
> > > [3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/releases/+/780550
> > >
> > > --
> > > Slawek Kaplonski
> > > Principal Software Engineer
> > > Red Hat
> >
> > It looks like there are a lot of places neutron-lib is still used.  My
> > question here is if those projects need to update their requirements and
> > re-release?

Fix included in that new version is relatively small. It is in the part of code
which is used already by stadium projects which are using neutron_lib. But all
of them also depends on Neutron so if neutron will bump minimum version of the
neutron-lib, it will be "automatically" used by those stadium projects as well.
And regarding all other lower-constaints changes in that new neutron-lib - as I
said in my previous email, all those versions are already set as minimum in
neutron so all of that was in fact effectively used, and is tested.

If we will not have this fix in neutron-lib in Wallaby, it basically means that
we will have broken support for those new personas like "system reader/admin".

If that would be problem to make new neutron-lib release now, would it be
possible to cut stable/wallaby branch in neutron-lib, backport that fix there
and release new bugfix version of neutron-lib just after Wallaby will be
released? Will it be possible to bump neutron's required neutron-lib version
then?