Some questions about Ironic bare metal

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 00:04:47 UTC 2021

Greetintgs, replies inline!

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 2:48 PM Ankele zhang <ankelezhang at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have included Ironic service into my rocky OpenStack platform. Using the
> IPMI driver. The cleaning network and the provisioning network are my
> provider network.
> I have some questions about Ironic deleting and inspecting.
>

> 1、every time I delete my baremetal nodes, I need to delete the associated
> servers first. the servers delete successfully, but the associated servers
> filed in nodes are still exist. So I need to set nodes to maintenance mode
> before I can delete bare metal nodes. what's more, the port list in
> 'openstack port list' which belong to the nodes can not be deleted
> automatically. How can I delete nodes correctly?

Okay, are you trying `openstack baremetal node delete` before
unprovisioning the instances?

Basically, if you're integrated with nova, the instance has to be
unprovisioned. Even with ironic on it's own, `openstack baremetal node
unprovision` is what you're looking for most likely. Since we're managing
physical machines, we never really want people to delete baremetal nodes
from ironic except as some sort of permanent last resort or removal from
ironic. Any need to do so we consider to be a bug, if that makes sense. The
nodes in ironic will change states upon unprovision to "available" instead
of "active" which indicates that it is deployed. A little different, but it
all comes down to management and tracking of distinct long living physical
machines.

So Ironic does *not* delete the port if it is pre-created, because the port
can realistically be moved elsewhere and the MAC address can be reset. In
some cases nova doesn't delete a port upon un-provision, so it kind of
depends how you reached that point if the services involved will remove the
port. If you're doing it manually to provision a server, it will still need
to be removed.

> 2、If the new created baremetal nodes'  system disks  have exist OS data.I
> cannot inspect them, I need to clean them first, but the cleaning step need
> MAC address of the nodes and the MAC addresses are obtained by inspecting.
> So what should I do? I don't want to fill in the MAC addresses manually.
> I have got the PXE boot but was immediately plugged into the existing
> system as:

Inspection is optional, but a MAC address is functionally required to
identify the machine since BMC identification by address is not reliable on
all hardware vendors. This is even more so with the case that you have an
existing operating system on the machine. Granted, you may want to check
your inspection PXE configuration and PXE templates, since I guess your
default falls back to the disk where instead you can have the configuration
fall to inspection. Generally, most people tend to use iPXE because it is a
bit more powerful for things such as this.