[Kolla-Ansible] Regarding stability of Ironic deployment with Kolla-Ansible

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 07:11:13 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 7:44 AM Amit Mahajan <ebiibe82 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,

Hi Amit,

> We are exploring Kolla-Ansible for our multinode production grade deployment. In our setup, some workloads will also run on bare-metal, so Ironic is the key requirement.
>
> We came across the following text on the Kolla-Ansible documentation page for Rocky release.
> "Ironic works well in Kolla, though it is not currently tested as part of Kolla CI, so may be subject to instability."
>
> Our query is that is deployment of Ironic using Kolla-Ansible production grade for the latest OpenStack release?

That sentence might sound harsh, it has actually been rephrased to:
"Ironic works well in Kolla, though it is not thoroughly tested as
part of Kolla CI, so may be subject to instability."
in some later release.

The thing about "thoroughness" is that we don't have actual baremetal
nodes in the CI (perhaps we should just mention that explicitly) and
thus we are testing a more limited scenario - but still on a regular
basis.
That said, Ironic is used by members of the Kolla Ansible core team
and it works well in the wild (at least with IPMI).
We also fully support it.

-yoctozepto