[tc][all] What should we have as community goals for Y series?( Starting community-wide goals ideas)

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 22:30:55 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 2:40 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2021-06-28 14:25:12 -0700 (-0700), Kendall Nelson wrote:
> [...]
> > the next release (Y release).
>
> You gave me a scare, but... *phew* that's the release after next. We
> haven't released Xena yet!
>
> > It looks like we only have one goal suggested so far (which is
> > fine; we can only have one goal)
> [...]
>
> Can we only have one goal? Or can we have only one goal? I assume
> you mean the latter, but they're definitely different things.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

I have a crazy idea!

What if instead of a common singular goal to uniformly raise the bar
across projects, we have each project work on their *most* painful
operator perceived performance or experience issue and attempt to try
and eliminate the issue or perception? And where cross-project
integrations are involved, other projects could put review priority on
helping get fixes or improvements pushed forward to address such
operator experiences.

Such an effort would take a dramatically different appearance by
project, and would really require each project to identify a known
issue, and then to report it back along with the gain they yielded
from the effort. Of course, to get there, projects would also have to
ensure that they could somehow measure the impact of their changes to
remedy such an issue.