[release][stable] stale old branches probably should be EOL'd

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Mon Jun 28 18:03:48 UTC 2021

Hi Release Team,

now that stable/ocata is mostly tagged with ocata-eol tag it turned out
that there are repositories that did not have any deliverables in ocata
(not even a yaml under deliverables/ocata in the release repository). In
fact, I've checked and there are several examples from the past where
repositories have old stable branches open [1] that should be
$series-eol tagged and deleted in my understanding.

I think these old stable branches were skipped accidentally during the
old EOL processing, so I would suggest to tag these with $series-eol and
then delete the old branches. I don't see any reason these branches
should be kept open. But let me know if I miss anything!

If we stick to the tagging + deletion, then the next question is how to
achieve this. There are a couple of options:

1. use the existing tools: such as creating a yaml file under
deliverables/$series/ and add the $series-eol tag for the given
repositories (I understand that these are not 'real' deliverables, but
does that cause any issue for us?)
2. implement some new mechanism, similar to option 1, but clearly
indicate that the tagging does not create any deliverables
3. manual tagging + deletion

I think the 1st option is the easiest and since we already have the
whole process there, we can simply use the existing tool.

So what do you think?
- Is that OK to tag these open old stable branches with $series-eol tag
and then delete them?
- If yes, which option from the above list is acceptable, or what else
can we do?

Thanks for the answers/ideas in advance,

Előd

[1] http://paste.openstack.org/show/806995/